Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Week 26: Honey, oh sugar sugar!

Babygirl is 1.7 pounds, and 14" long (hot house cucumber size). She can hear and breathe a little. She's getting to the point where if she decided to show her face now, she'd had a pretty darn good chance of making it. Every day, I breathe a little easier!

Glucola: The Pukemaker
I had my 3-hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) on Monday, November 1. Three hours. Four blood draws. One bruised, hungry, nauseous mommy.

For three days I had to follow a very strict diet of way too much food (fruits, veggies, bread, meat, dairy, juice, snacks, cheese) and no sugar. Happy Halloween! Colby handed out all the treats so I wouldn't have to look at them. We went with full size candy bars... the good ones, too, not Pay Days and Baby Ruths. I did miss seeing the costumes. We had relatively few trick or treaters and most of them sounded old.

Then I fasted from 8 pm Sunday to 8:30 am Monday. The phlebotomist at Quest was amazing... so sweet, friendly, called everyone "sweetie" and remembered each time I had an hourly blood draw. First was after the fast, then I had to drink the orange flavored glucose drink. Chilled, the stuff isn't bad, especially when you're starving. Unchilled, it's like cough medicine. I made a face and the phlebotomist said, "I know, it's naaasty, isn't it? You've got 5 minutes to drink it. Let me know if you need to throw up, sweetie."

I didn't need to but it was nice to know it was an option.

First draw from my right arm, second from my left. I asked her if they move to hands for the other two and she said, "Most people just do them all in the same arm." So I thought, really? For #3 I tried my right arm again (the left had hurt a little, maybe because I'd just had last week's blood draw from there) but that was so painful, I actually said, "Ow!" in the middle of a sentence I was uttering about the weather. I told her the last one would be the back of the hand.

I got the results back the next day... NO GESTATIONAL DIABETES!! I celebrated with a fun size Snickers (our backup Halloween candy, since we usually run out... plus we started out with several fewer than we'd bought... which might be in direct correlation to the reason I failed my glucose screening....) and a McDonald's Quarter Pounder. And a fun size peanut M&Ms.

I went to Mary Kay training and made a new friend. Yay!

Last night (Tuesday) I went to Penny's Noodles in Oak Park with my friend Jennifer. I highly recommend them, especially the Beef Fried Rice. Sooooo good. And we had ice cream at Peterson's afterward until they kicked us out.

Maybe it's all the sugar I was finally allowed to eat but dang, Sarrazine has been a crazy woman inside me! Rolling back and forth, poking things out of my belly button, just non-stop. It's awesome!

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

I'm so glad to hear you passed your test! That would be nerve racking and I'm sure the strict diet (or lack there of) was probably wonderful for the horomones! Now I want ice cream.

A Darley said...

I had to get one of those tests too (not because of pregnancy!) - I was on anti-anxiety meds and was totally knocked out between blood draws and pretty loopy during them! While I am completely fine with the idea and action of giving/drawing blood, my body is not and it goes into anxiety attacks. So glad to hear you passed yours!