Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Baby Name Dilemma

If we have a girl, we want to name her after my late mother. Colby suggested we use her last name.... Sarrazine (the "e" is silent) and call her "Sarra". The spelling would be tricky, but it would at least differentiate her from other Sarah/Saras. Her official name would be Sarrazine (although I would be concerned she'd be called "Magazine" by the other kids).

I've always been slightly annoyed by weird spellings of names, because it just adds needless complications to a child's life. I still remember being TRAUMATIZED in 3rd grade when a teacher mispronounced my last name, and I was too polite to correct her, so she and a new kid in class called me by the "wrong" name for several weeks until I broke down in tears and told my mom, "I did a terrible thing!" She thought I'd murdered someone, or at least stolen their milk money.

Or we could just call her Sarah and be done with it. I've always liked the name, and it means "princess."

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like it Sarrazine... and call Sarra...There is also Annette, and you could call her Ant! LOL! But no matter what name you chose, your Mom is so proud of you and smiling down on you from heaven. I am so happy for you Jenny!!!

JenLCB said...

Thanks, Carrie! I thought about Annette, but it reminds me too much of Annette Funicello. Not that anyone of the baby's generation would ever know who that is. :)